This is the first of a two-part introduction to offshore safety practices. Offshore oil and gas operations include all activities involved in the extraction of crude oil and natural gas from reservoirs found beneath the seafloor.
This course was developed as a source of information and practical training tool for offshore rig safety personnel, operator/contractor employees, supervisors, and managers who need to be familiar with offshore rig safety.
Once you complete this training, you will know more about the following components:
Note: The use of the term "must" in source documents for this training has been replaced with the term "should" because the content of this training is guidance only and does not replace or serve as a substitute for mandatory regulatory requirements detailed in source documents.
To begin your training, click on the module links below. If you are just starting this course, you should start with module 1.
Please login to your student dashboard to access and download this FREE course PDF studyguide. You can save this study guide to your computer for offline studying, or print the study guide if you prefer.Student Login
After studying the course material and answering the quiz questions, it is time to take the final exam. We highly recommend answering the module quiz questions to check your understanding of the course material. The final exam questions are typically developed from these quiz questions.
OSHAcademy course final exams are designed to make sure students have gained a sufficient understanding of the content covered within each course. To help demonstrate this understanding, students must achieve a passing score on course final exams. It is OSHAcademy's policy to protect the integrity of our exams: as a result, we do not provide missed questions to students.
This is an open book exam. Students are permitted to use a separate browser window to review course content while taking the exam. If you do not pass a final exam, you will see a "Retake Exam" button next to the course on your student dashboard.
If you have already paid for certificates, your exam score will be displayed on your student dashboard after successfully passing the final exam. If you chose PDF certificates, you can view and print your certificate and personal transcript from your student dashboard. If you chose original printed documents, they will be prepared and mailed to the address in your student account.
OSHAcademy provides free access to all training materials, including course modules, practice quizzes, exercises, and final exams. However, exam scores, certificates, and transcripts are provided only if you purchase a certificate package to document your training. If you do not require official training documentation, we will archive your exam results should you decide to purchase official certificates later.
1. Health and Safety Executive. (2014). Offshore Oil and Gas. Retrieved from: www.hse.gov.uk/offshore/index.htm
2. American Petroleum Institute (2014a). Recommended Practice for Development of a Safety and Environmental Management Program for Offshore Operations and Facilities. Retrieved from: www.api.org/
3. American Petroleum Institute (2014b). A Voluntary Tool for Companies Interested in Developing and EHS Management System or Enhancing an Existing System. Retrieved from: www.api.org/
4. European Commission (2013) Offshore Oil and Gas Platform Standards. Retrieved from: ec.europa.eu/energy/oil/offshore/standards_en.htm
5. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (2014). Oil and Gas Extraction. Retrieved from: www.osha.gov/SLTC/oilgaswelldrilling/otherresources.html
6. Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (2014). Governing Statutes. Retrieved from: www.boem.gov/Governing-Statutes/
7. Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (2014). Regulations and Guidance. Retrieved from: www.bsee.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/index/