This is the first of a two-part introduction to offshore safety practices. The information and resources provided in this course can help workers and employers identify and eliminate hazards related to offshore oil and gas platform safety activities. The course introduces applicable OSHA regulatory requirements, as well as industry standards and guidance aimed at identifying, preventing, and controlling exposure to hazards.
As an OSHAcademy student, you can access 100% of our training materials for free, including our module quizzes and course exams. We only charge a small fee if you decide to document your training with our official course certificates.
This is the first of a two-part introduction to offshore safety practices. Offshore oil and gas operations include all activities involved in the extraction of crude oil and natural gas from reservoirs found beneath the seafloor.
This course was developed as a source of information and practical training tool for offshore rig safety personnel, operator/contractor employees, supervisors, and managers who need to be familiar with offshore rig safety.
Once you complete this training, you will know more about the following components:
Note: The use of the term “must” in source documents for this training has been replaced with the term “should” because the content of this training is guidance only and does not replace or serve as a substitute for mandatory regulatory requirements detailed in source documents.
To begin your training, click on the module links below. If you are just starting this course, you should start with module 1.
OSHAcademy course final exams are designed to help ensure students demonstrate a sufficient understanding of the content covered within each course. To help demonstrate this understanding, students must achieve a minimum score of 70% on final exams. It is OSHAcademy's policy to protect the integrity of our exams and, as a result, we do not provide missed questions to students.
After you have studied all of the course material and taken the module quizzes, you can take the final exam. The module quizzes are optional, but we highly recommend you take each quiz, as the questions are similar to those on the final exam.
This is an open book exam. As you are taking the exam, if you find a question you are unsure of, you should use the course study guide or course web pages to research the correct answer. Don't worry if you fail the exam. You can study and retake the exam when you are ready.
If you have already paid for your certificates, your exam score will be displayed in your student dashboard next to the course. You will also be able to view or print the course PDF certificate if you purchased this option. Your PDF transcript will also be automatically updated to include the course.
You are welcome to take all of our courses for free! We only charge a fee if you want certificates, transcripts and exam scores to document your training. If you have not made a payment for your certificate, we will archive your exam results and you will see "Completed!" next to the course if you passed the exam. If you did not pass the exam with a score of 70% or higher, you will need to retake the exam.
Course 908 Study Guide. You can save this study guide to your computer for offline studying, or print the study guide if you prefer.
1. Health and Safety Executive. (2014). Offshore Oil and Gas. Retrieved from: www.hse.gov.uk/offshore/index.htm
2. American Petroleum Institute (2014a). Recommended Practice for Development of a Safety and Environmental Management Program for Offshore Operations and Facilities. Retrieved from: www.api.org/
3. American Petroleum Institute (2014b). A Voluntary Tool for Companies Interested in Developing and EHS Management System or Enhancing an Existing System. Retrieved from: www.api.org/
4. European Commission (2013) Offshore Oil and Gas Platform Standards. Retrieved from: ec.europa.eu/energy/oil/offshore/standards_en.htm
5. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (2014). Oil and Gas Extraction. Retrieved from: www.osha.gov/SLTC/oilgaswelldrilling/otherresources.html
6. Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (2014). Governing Statutes. Retrieved from: www.boem.gov/Governing-Statutes/
7. Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (2014). Regulations and Guidance. Retrieved from: www.bsee.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/index/