Doctors, nurses, and staff who work in the emergency department of a hospital face many risks. The emergency room is open to anyone who comes in, including violent criminals, drug addicts, and any number of other individuals.
Because many patients have not yet been stabilized, and medical treatment occurs at a more rapid pace, accidents are more likely to happen in this fast-paced setting than some other medical treatment settings.
This course is geared towards an employee in the emergency room. Once you complete this training, you will have knowledge of the following topics:
To begin your training, click on the module links below. If you are just starting this course, you should start with module 1.
Please login to your student dashboard to access and download this FREE course PDF studyguide. You can save this study guide to your computer for offline studying, or print the study guide if you prefer.Student Login
After studying the course material and answering the quiz questions, it is time to take the final exam. We highly recommend answering the module quiz questions to check your understanding of the course material. The final exam questions are typically developed from these quiz questions.
OSHAcademy course final exams are designed to make sure students have gained a sufficient understanding of the content covered within each course. To help demonstrate this understanding, students must achieve a passing score on course final exams. It is OSHAcademy's policy to protect the integrity of our exams: as a result, we do not provide missed questions to students.
This is an open book exam. Students are permitted to use a separate browser window to review course content while taking the exam. If you do not pass a final exam, you will see a "Retake Exam" button next to the course on your student dashboard.
If you have already paid for certificates, your exam score will be displayed on your student dashboard after successfully passing the final exam. If you chose PDF certificates, you can view and print your certificate and personal transcript from your student dashboard. If you chose original printed documents, they will be prepared and mailed to the address in your student account.
OSHAcademy provides free access to all training materials, including course modules, practice quizzes, exercises, and final exams. However, exam scores, certificates, and transcripts are provided only if you purchase a certificate package to document your training. If you do not require official training documentation, we will archive your exam results should you decide to purchase official certificates later.
1. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. (2014). Emergency Department. Retrieved from: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/hospital/er/er.html
2. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. (2014a). Early Detection of Tuberculosis. Retrieved from: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/hospital/hazards/tb/tbhistory.html
3. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. (2014b). MRSA-General. Retrieved from: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/hospital/hazards/mro/mrsa/mrsa_general.html
4. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. (2014c). Who is at risk for Anthrax exposure? Retrieved from: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/anthrax/risk_eval.html#Health
5. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (1999). Stress...At Work. Retrieved from: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/99-101/